The same hospital that purchased the Mosaic Zoo series has commissioned me to do six more mosaics. I'm going to be posting work in progress shots here and describe the process.
It all started with some rough sketches, which had to be refined into some more presentable looking sketches for the committee. I've posted one of the designs in its rough and refined state.
After approval, I transferred the designs to wedi board in pencil. However, this particular design is large. They wanted it to be 30"h x 72" w. I like using wedi board because it is so much lighter than other substrates, however, it only comes in 60" widths. So I took thinner sizes and cut a six inch wide zig zag pattern in each. I glued them together so this is actually two layers thick and now 72" wide! The zig zag pattern is offset so they don't overlap. They are very stable, solid, and ready for tesserae!
One of the designs is a ladybug with the number one below it, in the style of my Mosaic Zoo series. I finished it this morning except for the grouting.